Our work days may look a little different these days. A lot of us are working from home or maybe just part-time in the office, which can actually make meal prep even easier for us! If you’re working from home you may choose to do some chores or workout on your lunch break which may lead to a “desk” lunch or consuming something not as satisfying.
As helpful as meal prep is, it’s also time-consuming and takes a good amount of energy. The only time you may have could be on a weekend which is when you’d rather take things slow and spend time with family or friends. This year has been tiring to say the least, so reaching for that bag of chips or frozen burrito may seem easier as a lunch choice and not as time consuming.
We have to remember that food is medicine and fuel for our bodies, so choosing something full of nutrients will always be more beneficial and all-around help us feel better physically and mentally. So, what are some easy and nutritious options to keep at home?! Follow along for a list of simple, nutritious, delicious, and budget-friendly snacks and meals you can prep to keep at home!
When you need a mid-afternoon snack to get over that 3 o’clock slump try keeping these items in your pantry or work bag:
- Trail mix—not the sugary kind!
- Protein Bars-watch out for added sugar and make sure you can read the ingredients and stay away from anything you can’t pronounce.
- Fresh fruit
- Dried fruit
- Fresh chopped veggies—carrots, cucumber, bell pepper
- Tea or kombucha
- Roasted chickpeas—you can make your own or buy the packaged kind
- Plantain chips
- Realm smoothies — make in under 30 seconds and are super easy to travel with! They are also full of nutrients as well as plant-based protein that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized for your day!
Still heading into the office? Try these meals when you’re on-the-go:
- Overnight oats
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Whole wheat toast with avocado or nut butter
- Realm smoothies (built for making anywhere)
Need something quick and easy for lunch? Try these options out:
- Realm smoothies: just add water (or milk), shake, and enjoy!
- Sandwich: you can never go wrong with a whole wheat nut butter or turkey sandwich to provide you with the protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs you need to keep going.
- Grain bowl: easy to prep ahead of time so you can grab and go! Brown rice, avocado, black beans, bell peppers, optional meat choice (ground chicken or turkey).
- Pasta: another easy one to prep ahead of time—try whole wheat or lentil and add pesto or marinara sauce with spinach and chicken sausage.
- Salad bowl: try to make sure you get a protein, healthy fat, and complex carb to help keep you satisfied.
When I’m at work, I personally like to keep dried fruit, nuts, and Realm around as my “emergency” food. They’re all easy to carry around, provide the nutrients I need, and are easy to grab and go on a busy day. I recommend keeping them in your car, your bag, or a drawer at your desk. Here’s to nourishing our bodies while we get our work done! Stay healthy and happy eating!